Monday, October 08, 2007

GRE in retrospect: The do's and don'ts

Having received guidance from countless people in my run up to the GRE, I feel obliged to return the favor.

If I were to summarize my advice for GRE prep in one line, I would say: "Keep it simple."

To elaborate on that, here's a step by step approach(I'm assuming you've already registered for the test, otherwise that would be Step 1) Maybe it'll sound cliche'd, but then most things in life do...

1. Buy a copy of Barron's
2. Take the diagnostic test at the beginning of the book. Know where you stand. At this point, also target a particular score.
3. Begin working on the word list. There are umpteen ways to go about this. I started with 'Z' and worked backwards, but that was only a whim.. some people choose to go about it randomly, some start with A... whatever suits you..
4. As you work through the word list, mark the words you didn't know. On further revisions, these are the words you must go through. Doing this ensured that I never went through all 3500 words on my revisions, just the words I didn't know.
5. Revise your word list once.
6. Go about solving the practice exercises on Antonyms, RC's and Sentence Completion( not necessarily in that order)
7. In case you're weak in Quant, go through the Math Review and exercises. I didn't and got an 800, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.
8. Take PowerPrep Test 1
9. If you've achieved the score you'd targeted in the beginning, nothing like it... else you've gotta get back to work.
10. Revise your word list and practice verbal exercises from other sources( I would suggest The Princeton Review)
11. Around 2-3 days before your GRE take PowerPrep Test 2.
12. Relax

The Don'ts:
1. Don't lay your hands on too many prep sources at the same time. Go about it systematically. In my view, Barron's and PowerPrep were more than enough. Once you're done with these, you may go on and practice from other sources

2. Don't not take your PowerPrep seriously. Simulate exam conditions when you're taking it.
3. Don't panic with your word lists. They take time but that's the way it is with everyone.
4. Don't try to double guess on any question. Mark the option that you think is right.

No comments: