Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Losing my religion

I'm losing my religion. Don't get me wrong...I'm not converting and I'm not announcing my belief in atheism....I'm happy with the Gods, it's religion that bugs me. The thing is that in my country religion is maniacal....it's associated with a host of unwanted activities that rational people( like me I suppose) could do well to avoid. Like rituals. Like sacrifice. Like rioting. The real issues I believe have long lost themselves in the mires of the non-issues.

Religion in India, especially over the last century has done us more harm than good. It's divided us, both as a country and as a society. In an otherwise peace loving region, where hospitality is the shibboleth, religious intolerance is an ugly scar on the face of our humanity.

Religion, I believe is something deeply personal. It's your hotline to God. And it isn't something that's meant to be conducted in public. As soon as you pull religion out of the private domain and bring it out into the public domain, trouble brews.

My advice to fellow Indians....Pray by all means, worship by all means but please.....be wary of those who claim to "unite" you in the name of religion.... that's where hell begins...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Abhishek.. Nice post

I really loved few lines like:
"religion is hotline to God"

For sure, everyone needs to learn that we are going on a wrong path... and it is high time we correct ourselves.

And it is a pity, that we are not even conscious that we are wrong... The need is that those who understand the right teach those who are wrong..

All the best Abhishek!!!